Constant worrying, better known as anxiety, can cause a loss of appetite, lack of interest in sex, muscle tension, headaches, and insomnia to name a few. Extreme anxiety can cause frequent panic attacks which in turn can cause you to fear the anxiety attacks themselves, thereby increasing overall anxiety. By staying in a constant state of stress from anxiety this can lead to clinical depression.
The specific causes of anxiety disorders are unknown, even though one-in-eight Americans are affected. As with most mental illnesses, anxiety disorders are thought to be caused by a combination of factors. It’s probable that genetic, psychological and environmental factors that come together can cause anxiety disorders.
All anxiety disorders share some general symptoms:
- Panic, fear, and uneasiness.
- Sleep problems.
- Not being able to stay calm and still.
- Cold, sweaty, numb or tingling hands or feet.
- Shortness of breath.
- Heart palpitations.
- Dry mouth.
Try these when you’re feeling anxious or stressed:
- Take a time-out.
- Eat well-balanced meals.
- Limit alcohol and caffeine, which can aggravate anxiety and trigger panic attacks.
- Get enough sleep.
- Exercise daily to help you feel good and maintain your health.
- Practice deep breathing.
- Use a mindfulness or meditation app on your phone.
- Count to 10 slowly.
Trusted Home Remedies for Natural Anxiety Relief
- Drink three cups of chamomile tea a day when you’re feeling anxious
- Get between 1 and 3 grams of omega-3s a day
- Breathe in lavender
- Add L-lysine to your diet
- Get outside in natural sunlight for 15 minutes a day
- Add Vitamin D supplements
- Practice yoga
Experts have found that if, the core causes of anxiety are left untreated, the potential for a return of symptoms will remain. As with any problem, learning what anxiety is, how anxiety affects the mind and body, and more importantly, knowing how to treat anxiety, are your best options for conquering these symptoms.